SIMPLE PAST OR PAST CONTINUOUS? 1
Choose the best, most natural-sounding verb tense (simple past or past continuous) for each of the sentences.
Example: I was reading when I heard the door open.
1. Oliver ____________ when he heard a noise from the kitchen.
b. was singing
Answer was singing
2. My sister ________ you twice.
a. was calling
3. Q: What was Peter doing? A: He ________ telly.
a. was watching
Answer was watching
4. My grandad was a person who ________ people and never asked for anything in return.
b. was helping
5. Q: Did Robert buy those runners? P2: Yes, he ________ them.
a. was buying
6. We ________ our kids at 3:00 pm.
a. picked up
b. were picking up
Answer picked up
7. The doorbell ________ the cat.
a. was waking
8. He ________ his exam and had to retake it.
a. was failing
9. Amelia was walking around the park, ________ at the trees.
10. Today I finally ________ a promotion at work.
b. was getting
11. Jim ________ the car park when he saw Mary crossing the street.
a. was leaving
Answer was leaving
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES